Three new fabric techniques

August 9, 2014 at 10:55 pm 1 comment

I have sent my June, July and August fabrics all off at the same time. Hopefully the swap partners in US will have received their surprise packages in the mail before reading this.

June technique was ‘resists’. This was a great open ended challenge, but it also was a very long exercise, mainly due to the cold and wet winter weather here and the number of processes I decided to incorporate. I decided on a three step process:

1. Cotton sheeting from Op Shops (Thrift shop in US) were torn into strips and concertina folded and clamped:

Itajime

Procion dye was added with syringes and they were left to batch for 48 hours. I also folded up a couple of extra cloths to use up the dye and placed a piece of fabric top and bottom to soak up extra dye:

Itajime in the tray

And this is how they looked after rinsing, washing in synthrapol, drying and ironing, This is definitely a time warp happening here, going way back to those 70’s tie dye. Luckily there are more processes to come!

Back to the 70's

The one on the top left was the one of the extra folded pieces. Here is another:

folded

2. The fabrics were laid out on plastic sheeting and spread thinly with a flour resist paste. This was left to dry for 48 hours and then scrunched up to crack the flour layer. I did lots of scrunching in different directions, as I needed to get rid of that 70’s tie dye look.

Flour paste 1

Close up of the crackling:Flour paste 2

The fabric was then painted with watered down fabric paints. Because I was trying to tone down those tie dyes I used darker colours in Lumiere and opulence paints.

Flour paste 5

Once they were batched for 48 hours, I scrunched the fabric up again and scraped some of the dried flour off with a paint scraper. They then went into a plastic bucket of cold water, soaked for 10 mins, and then I scrubbed the remaining flour off with an old dish brush. The lumiere was a bit more resistant to scrubbing-just soak a bit longer. The fabrics were hung to drip dry a bit and then ironed to set the fabric paint. When ironed they were a bit stiff so they had another wash in soap to remove any flour paste residue, drip dried and ironed once again.

The resulting fabric now looks like stained glass windows, some very vibrant, others a little more moody! I only made enough of this technique to swap so I will have to do some more flour pasting for myself.

Crackle dye

3. For the last application of resist on these fabrics I was going to go with the stained glass window theme and I created a gothic window stencil to use with the toothbrush/oilstick technique to add the windows to one corner of the fabric. However I love these crackly fabrics so much I decided to leave it up to the recipients as to what they wanted to add.

See next post for the July technique.

 

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Dyeing, Starch resist.

Surface design group Sun prints in wintery July

1 Comment Add your own

  • 1. maggi21  |  August 12, 2014 at 1:48 am

    Gorgeous results.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Pages

August 2014
M T W T F S S
« Jul   Nov »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Notebook Project


%d bloggers like this: