Fabric swap

May 14, 2015 at 12:27 pm 3 comments

I can now post my latest fabric alteration results as I have heard they have been arriving at their destinations overseas. For March the designated technique was discharge.

I already had some discharge paste so I tried that first but found the results very disappointing. I then purchased some decolourant plus and found the effects just as poor, if not worse!

Back to bleach. I bought a new bottle of strong gel bleach, I don’t usually have it in the house being a natural cleaner type of person (i.e. vinegar is the strongest I go).

Excellent results straight off and very quick to activate on the navy broadcloth.

I rinsed in vinegar and water to de-activate the bleach and then washed in a little synthrapol.

Bleach discharge

Bleach discharge

April was a ‘choose your own adventure’ and I had an indigo kit I had purchased so decided to try that out. Unfortunately I think the dye powder or chemicals were too old (I did buy on sale) so there was no reaction when mixed. I will try again with fresh materials at a later date. As I had already tied, banded, clamped etc the fabrics, I made up a dye bath of Procion dark navy and used that for the dyeing instead. It is great fun unwrapping the parcels to see what effects you have. Strangely the colour on the silks was more purplish.

Swap fabrics

Swap fabrics

Silk clamped with washer and metal door handle

Silk clamped with washer and metal door handle

Silk rubber banded with plastic capping

Silk rubber banded with plastic capping

On the weekend was Mother’s day so here is the delicious ‘smoothie bowl’ my darling daughter made to follow the cooked eggs, bacon, spinach, tomato and mushrooms on sourdough.

smoothie bowlAnd the winter weather has hit, and it is still autumn. This was the effect of hailstorms overnight Tuesday:

The outdoor table

The outdoor table

The garden

The garden



Entry filed under: Dyeing, Fabric discharge.

Pink High Tea for Cancer April ATCs-Graffiti

3 Comments Add your own

  • 1. yarngoddess  |  May 14, 2015 at 11:47 pm

    I love my pears! So glad you are persistent with your sampling. đŸ™‚

    • 2. carlseapatch  |  May 15, 2015 at 7:45 pm

      So glad you liked them Diane, I did try the spray technique of watered down bleach over a feather as well but it was a bit blotchy

  • 3. Maggi  |  May 21, 2015 at 7:19 am

    Love the discharge and there are some great results from the dyeing.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


May 2015

Notebook Project

%d bloggers like this: