Posts filed under ‘paperclay’

Hip Hip Decay

Last weekend I experienced a magical workshop with Suzanne McRae who travelled all the way from Ballarat each day to share her amazing talent. We were encouraged to use her techniques but develop our own characters and the most important thing I learnt was how the ‘less is more’ applies, particularly in this instance.

So this is Professor Priscilla Possum not quite finished yet:

hip-hip-3

 

She is a ringtail possum, which are quite common in our little neck of the woods.

I still have to sew the clothes, add some old buttons, do a little more on the face (a little detail trick Suzanne shared with us) and make a mini leather covered book to place under her arm.

You can see Kerrie’s characterful bird here. Thank you to the Art dolls ladies for sharing this workshop and in particular Jenny for her wonderful organisation.

Advertisements

February 5, 2017 at 11:22 am Leave a comment

Samantha Bryan fun fairies

This weekend we have had a wonderful two days with the delightful Samantha Bryan creating fantastical vintage fairies of all manner of descriptions. This was run through the Trolly Dollies (great job Kerrie, Jenny and the rest of the crew). The fairies created were as varied as the participants. We began with making ten heads from air dry clay, all with individual characters. This was followed by the elongated armature to which we added our beetle shaped bodies fashioned from leather and stuffed with filling.

My heads:

Heads

This picture shows the bibs and bobs that go into making one of Samantha’s fairies:

Samantha's bits

It was great to get a close up look at the amazing detail Samantha puts into her fairies also:

Samantha's flightful fairies

 

One thing that was constantly reinforced by Samantha throughout the weekend was that her work is always constructed with the rigours of them travelling to exhibitions in mind. Therefore the processes taught and the materials used were ones designed to be hardwearing and resistant to handling. Samantha uses a lot of silver soldering which would a great great further workshop for when she visits next year (that’s a hint Kerrie!).

My ‘Movie Man’ is headless at the moment:

Movie man 1

The head I originally made (with red beanie) was too small for the armature constructed so I had to make a new head (sheoak seed ears). The body and camera were sewn from leather scraps.

Kerrie had her ‘action man’ almost completed and was also very busy on the Saturday night constructing three more bodies:

Kerry's action man!

Thankyou for the delicious slices also Kerrie, the peanut butter brownie was very badly more-ish (you can get Kerrie’s yummy recipes here).

And it was also wonderful to meet and work with Samantha, she was an absolute sweetie!

Kerry & Samantha

 

 

April 7, 2014 at 9:52 am 1 comment

Progress- of sorts

Firstly, I have been playing with paperclay and have made my first sea angel head. This is for a Christmas exhibition at the Johnston Collection, a collaboration of all the arty groups in Geelong. I began with a foil base on galvanised wire:

foiled headsFollowing a tutorial here, I added the paperclay, beginning with a basic shape and then adding the details. This was great fun and Claudia joined in, making a Little Miss figure.

As you can see I have not yet added the ears, I’m wondering if they are necessary as she will have long hair. The pictures of ship’s figureheads which I have are the inspiration for the sea angels, and they all have ears so I had better add them. She is not quite symmetrical, but I plan to paint her in colours of the deep (a la Maggie Grey), not realistically, so I think she will look fine. Most people have slightly wonky faces anyway!! I have another to do as yet.

paperclay headHere are my ‘killed catalogues‘ in progress.

This one I plan to embellish with gum tree type features; leaves, gum nuts etc.

gum tree stump:progressThis has a combination of quink, moonshadow mists, starburst stains and shimmering mists sprayed.

The next one I embedded some gauze and lace fabric in the gesso, then painted the same as the one above.

A in W progressI was inspired by Heather’s fantastic chessmen and the gap in the middle for this one. It will be based on Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass and have text and WSP heads. A friend has a concrete statue of Alice just the right size, so I hope to  borrow it to do a paper cast.

Next month at the Creative Fibre arts group we will be playing with water soluble paper and paper clay so hopefully I’ll have all these finished to show.

Cheers

June 18, 2009 at 11:34 am 2 comments


Pages

October 2017
M T W T F S S
« Sep    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  

Notebook Project